Thursday, April 24, 2008

How Firm a Foundation...


Tonight we had the missionaries over for dinner. I enjoy having them over for a lot of reasons:
#1-I like to cook for people and most missionaries think that they have to eat everything on their plate, so I always feel good washing the dishes.

#2-It's fun for the boys to see them and to ask them questions about serving a mission.

#3-It lets David reminisce about the good 'ole days being in Portugal. Different country, but same church, right!

#4- They challenge me to do things that I would never be motivated to do on my own.

Tonight they challenged me to give out one pass-along card in one week. No, I haven't been able to give one out since we've been here. I'm such a chicken! I guess I don't want people to think about me, what I would think about someone else trying to "sell" me on their religion. Frankly, I know I'm right and I know that I'm a member of the only true gospel on this earth, but how many other religious people think this way? Would they believe that the true gospel "sells" itself? Any comments from converts? ...I've always wondered if I would have joined the church if I hadn't been born into it, but I'd like to think that I would have, if I had been given the chance. Hopefully I would recognize the pure truthfulness of it all and join because I was, at first, willing to listen to someone's opinion.
Anyway, wish me luck. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow. Let's see if I can let one accidentally fall out of my wallet and on to the conveyor belt! There's a conversation piece! I need to get over the fact that people might think that I'm a little weird and just do it because I need to share the Gospel with as many people that I can. They have no idea what joy they are missing in life!


..And yes, I did end up scrubbing pee out of the carpet. (refer to picture above, ^)


Here are some pictures of the missionaries doing what they do.....2nd best. Taking pictures! While having desert on the patio, one of the Elders decided to go for a ride on the Big Wheel! Caleb wasn't too sure it would work. To be honest, I wasn't sure either. This post's for you, David Andrew!

6 comments:

Marc and Liz Anson said...

Sometimes I feel the same way about sharing the gospel. I know that I don't like to be 'sold' into somethings either so why would I try to do it to someone else. But like you said they don't know what joy they are missing so I should just get over it too. Easier said than done. Good luck!

Growing-up-walker said...

It can be scarry going outside your comfort zone. it isnt easy passing out a member card. I know what you mean about how you feel when someone else tries to pass out their religious card. Look at it this way...it is good practice for you and David to serve a mission in the future:)

I know for me personally not always being an active member I found that I was cool with a person sharing their beliefs and not pushing them. Be willing to be friends, be willing to listen to them too, be patient and when they are ready they will ask questions. the most important thing is do what Pres Monson says..."Rather than focus on our differences we need to focus on our common beliefs." I believe when we do that we can realate to one another better and others will open up to us better as well as us opening to them better..

I am sure I just rambeled on and on, but I hope there was something of comfort in there. I know you can do it.:) You never know what will happen until you try.:)

Tammy said...

just pray and then some time you will be chatting with someone and you'll think, humm they need this and pop it out. when Eric and I were on our honey moon there was only one resturaunt in the place open so we ate there every day. the lady at the counter seemed pretty grumpy most of the time. the last day we were there we ate breakfast and went to teh car. both of us said i keep thinking we should give that lady a book of mormon. we franticly searched the car, i knew there was one in there, anyway we found one and Eric was the brave one, asked her if she would read a book if he gave her one. she said yes and so he gave it away. never know what came of it, if anything. but it felt really good, and we'lll never forget it.

I'm always afraid that i'll feel dumb after and regret it for a long time but truly it's exciteing to me still. if i ran into that lady somtime i would ask her if she read it and liked it, somtimes i wonder if she called the missionaries. anyway trust me you won't feel dumb if you are lead by the spirit.

Unknown said...

yeah! naked bum! and you must be feeling well enough to post. :)

Michelle said...

Nudity! I thought this site was rated "G"! Cute cute CUTE!!!!

Heather said...

Good luck with the pass-along cards. I try and do it around Christmas--I would give it to "service" people (a.k.a. WalMart people) as a "thank you" for helping me--like I was giving a gift or something. :)
You inspire me to get more cards out again!