"Basically, I am already nine years old."
He was born really early in the morning so he was basically nine, but not quite. I think he just wanted his presents early.
We had his birthday dinner on Saturday night because we were planning on going up to our friends' house right after church on Sunday. Caleb picked grilled Bratwursts, watermelon and spicy chili Doritos. He likes anything and everything spicy and was super excited to try out some new chips.
On Sunday morning he peeked his head into our room and whispered (really loudly) "I'm awake!" and thus commenced the gifts and partying!
We gave him a spy lazer trap, a new iPod case and flint and steel for camping. Thanks to the grandparents for sending him presents in the mail. He was so excited and watched for the mail every day for two weeks. He is one lucky grandkid!
After church, we drove up to Mark Twain Lake where our friends have a house on a 7 acre farm. Heaven. Basically, we were all in Heaven. Great company, food, tractors, fishing, fireworks, a bonfire, staying up really late, paddle boating and lots and lots of games! Thanks so much to Letty and Richard who generously gave up their bedroom so we could crash there at night. The kids loved staying up with us grown-ups and eating treats all night. Caleb was thrilled to learn so many new games that he could play too and Jacob was glued to Richard's side as much as possible. Emeline was adamant that everything on the farm was hers. She sounded like the seagulls on Finding Nemo and got away with it a lot more than usual. Ah, such is the life on vacation.

David and I basked in the great company of friends, who are really family, and enjoyed the breathtaking scenery. I was so excited to do some fishing and we all caught some whoppers Ü Papa Preston taught Caleb and Avery how to drive the riding lawn mower and we were all very entertained watching them try and work there way around the farm. David mowed a bit himself and activated his allergies but he was a trooper. Most everyone had allergies or ticks, or both, but we all had a glorious time anyway. Caleb and Jacob really enjoyed lighting off fireworks into the pond and always came into the house muddy and smiling. I think the farm lifestyle is a good fit for us. hmmmm...Does anyone know of a small one for sale?
Anyway, back to Caleb! He is the best! He is even sweeter than the day he was born and continues to amaze me with his generosity, kindness and patience. If there is a group of people doing something fun, Caleb is right in the center of it. He loves to be with people and be social and makes friends easily. His teachers all loves him because he is so good and helpful. He is learning to swim, ride a bike and play chess like a pro, this summer. He is also a heck of a baseball player and is really getting good at it. He loves to watch movies and play games of all kinds and is an avid reader. We are currently reading the Little House on the Prairie books together and I have really loved spending time discussing them together. He is crazy about chocolate and will eat anything anyone leaves on their plate. He grew almost three inches this last year to prove it! He is my heart and I love him. Happy Birthday kid!
4 comments:
Happy birthday Caleb!! Sounds like you have a wonderful and perfect birthday celebration. :) We love you lots!!
Love,
Uncle Marc, Aunt Liz & your cRaZy cousins (Rachel, Benjamin, Hannah & Andrew)
I sure love that kid!!! Happy birthday Caleb.
Basically, I love that boy to pieces! Glad you all got to have such a great time at the farm.
Happy Birthday Caleb! Yes Amy, it is your long lost friend! Sorry I have been so absent lately. I do miss you which is why I am ignoring my children and reading your wonderful blog. I will try to call you soon. Hopefully you have the same number...haha...it has been so long...
Post a Comment