Jake has had a rough few years or so. We learned a few months ago that he has what is called Sensory Processing Disorder or Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). Basically, we all gather information with our senses. When his body receives that data, it can't process it correctly and he is left trying to figure out why primary is so loud that he can't concentrate, or why, when he gets a drop of water on his clothing, he can't think of anything else until he changes his clothes, or why learning how to ride a bike is such an incredibly formidable task because his motor planning skills are so delayed. The list is long and getting longer, but we are learning so much. We have found a great therapist named Diana, who is helping us understand how to meet Jake's needs and help him gain confidence. We have been going for about 6 weeks now and I can already see a difference.
Jake can now pedal his tricycle around the park, where before he wouldn't even sit on it. He now goes down slides and jumps off things, where before he wouldn't even climb up a ladder at the park. His body is getting stronger and more coordinated and he is figuring things out. I even saw him try and sing one song in primary and I thought my heart would burst. He doesn't sing because it is so hard for him to learn the words with all of the stimulation in primary room. He is so blessed to have such wonderful Primary teachers who really help him to be his best.
We have our good days and bad days and some days we would all like to have a meltdown! He is the sweetest little boy though, and has the quirkiest personality. He has such a dry sense of humor and surprises me with the jokes that he tells or the things that he says. He is passionate about things and I love that about him. He is not afraid to be himself and knows what he wants. He is a great leader, when he makes up his mind to be, and gives the best bear hugs around. He is our Jacob and we love him so much.
I just had to throw this picture in. Usually my living room looks worse than this and David's face pretty much sums it up!
Jacob with his new friend, Tsunami the cheetah. Jake loves cheetahs because they can run the fastest.


3 comments:
We are so glad you have found something that is helping you help him! It is so exhilarating to see the light finally click on in their little heads.
My good friend out here has a daughter is SID, and I help her work with her daughter. It's hard work but then they are such cuties that it's worth it!
GO JAKE! Hey, when you come visit this summer will you be my back seat buddy again?
What a sweet, sweet boy. I have a friend named Laura, whose blog is on my friends list on my blog page, and her little boy (who is 6, I think) also has SID. He also worked with a therapist and I think he's doing great now. Jake is lucky to have such great parents and such a loving extended family. Love you!
Post a Comment