We made breakfast this morning while the kids watched the rain out the window. Recently, the boys watched "Singing in the Rain" and so Caleb decided he needed to try. Well, we were out having fun, completely unaware that our basement was once again, quickly taking on water.
I think this carpet has now been pulled up, bleached and dried out about 10 times. I have flashbacks of our basement flooding while I was growing up. I can picture my mom and dad using the Shop-vac to suck up the water and walking around in ankle deep water. Maybe we should think about replacing it. What do you think Dad? David joked to his mom that guests can sleep in the basement on our blowup mattress, and float around while they sleep. Water bed sort of takes on a whole new meaning.
We were worried that we wouldn't make it to church on time and then we received word that the power was out at our chapel so it was cancelled. Most of the major roads that would take us there were covered with water anyway. Can you imagine parking your car for the night and discovering this in the morning?! We drove around a little bit to take some pics and found this surprise on our old street. Do you recognize this one mom? It's Big Bend and Dougherty Ferry. I talked to a guy who has lived here 25 years and has never seen that road flood. Check out the dude wading around. He said he lost his license plate and was trying to find it. (I think he's lost a lot more than that......)
All in all, we will be fine and hope that everyone affected by the hurricane will be able to make it out okay. Golf anyone?
This is the street we would take everyday, from our old apartment to our new house. hmm...
17 comments:
Oh Amy, I am glad you guys are OK!
Inspired by Caleb's entertaining dance in the rain, here is my bit of movie trivia. When they filmed that famous scene from Singing in the Rain, they used milk instead of water because the cameras were not technologically advanced enough to pick up the water. So technically he is, "Singing in the Milk!"
From one drama geek to the next,
Heather
Wow! That's all we can say. Make sure it's all dried out for us when we come out next year...we are not to keen on water beds don't cha know. :)
Great pictures, and Caleb can sing to me anytime. Sorry about the basement!!
We are also glad to hear you are okay.
We enjoyed hearing Caleb singing the fun rain song.
Wow! That is a lot of water!
Love you guys!
Mom and Dad
man, i'm sorry you were flooded again! i hope it is all ok. I'm glad you guys are safe!
Oh my gosh Amy, I had no idea that you guys were hit so hard, that is crazy. Glad you and your home are all okay, looks like an adventure that's for sure.
Repetition of previous comments: wow! Glad you are safe if not dry.
Good Heavens! Does your insurance cover this? I wish I owned a carpet store and I could let you pick whatever you wanted. Caleb is talented!
Wow you guys! What adventures you are having. I am glad you are OK. Your poor carpet. As least Caleb had fun :)
SO Exciting! not that i want it to flood here! we would definatly be washed away! My sister lives in New Iberia Louisianna, she was evacuated for the first hurricane and then road the second one out. she said it was pretty loud (thunder and lightning), and rainy, she didn't have much damage though, they lost a peice of their roof and a bit of the floor got wet, but they moved all their furniture to higher ground before the actual storm so their ok. to bad about that basement though, if it's anything like ours was you'll just get that carpet dry and have to pull it up to dry again! : ) fun fun! I didn't even realize that you guys were even close to being affected, i guess i should watch the news more offen! : ) glad you are ok, how fun for the boys though! I loved it when i rained when i was little.
At least ya'll are pros at drying out the basement. Sorry. We had some tornadoes in Central Arkansas, but, no damage to our place. Mother nature can be a beast!
Oh my Goodness! That is crazy! I am glad you are Ok. We sure miss you guys!
Oh my, that place has been so wet this year!! I wonder how our old house is holding up? gotta love Missouri!
Wow! Just getting caught up on your blog, and I've definitely been missing some exciting happenings. Glad you are all OK.
Oh, and I love your family pictures!
WOW! Crazy Pics. You don't know me but I have known David and his family for years. I didn't catch where you live but those were awesome pictures. So glad you all are doing good. You and your boys are adorable... David looks great too. Tell him I said hi and here is my family blog:
http://sachsclan.blogspot.com/
--Heather (Sparks) Sachs
AMY AMY AMY!!!! I'm so glad Abby found me so I could find you!!! I LOVE your kids! They are so incredibly darling!!!! I can't believe you live so far away! I didn't even know you moved until like 3 months ago! I'm glad that you're blogging so we can keep up with what is going on in your life!
If you're interested, you can look at my blog to see whats up with us!
steveandchellesaltzy.blogspot.com
hope to hear from you soon! (I love reading comments on my blog, so comment comment comment!!!!!)
Michelle (Southern) Saltzgiver
Post a Comment