
David came home from work today with a Ornate Box Turtle. (we googled it and determined that's what it was) He found him in the woods at work and brought him home in a bucket to show Caleb. He was so cute and Caleb got attached pretty quickly.
We decided that he should be named Shelby. We realized a little too late, however, that you should never name a wild animal. When we told Caleb we couldn't keep him he started to cry and kept saying over and over, "But I really like him." It was so sad and ALMOST convinced me to adopt a turtle.

Long story short, we explained that Shelby wouldn't be happy in a bucket and that we needed to let him go. Caleb argued with the fact that he could live in his shell instead of the bucket, but we convinced him he needed a bit more than just his shell to be happy.
This picture is when we let him go. It's blurry because I swear he was coming to GET me, and I jumped! Anyway, we let him go in the woods behind our house and have now officially promised Caleb that he can have a pet when we move to our new house. Does anyone know how long those little frogs that swim in water live?

So long Shelby! Have a nice life!
6 comments:
What a fun adventure for such a cute boy! I love the name!
That picture of Caleb with the sad face... I almost started to cry! I had little frogs once. They did not last very long (but they were very little...)
Cute & Sad all at the same time.
what a fun experiance though! Olivia thought that the turtle was really cool, and i laughed at the one of you "jumping" out of the way so that it wouldn't "get" you. those turtles sure can be speedy! : )
Oh that's sad. But thanks for learning the lesson for me :) By the way, LOVE the picture of Jacob on your sidebar!
How fun and sad. I am glad that he got to experience time with a turtle. If you are talking about the African Dwarf Frogs I know they live a good while. We still have our frog and she is oh, 3 years or so. They are easy to take care of. Except when you have a boy and a girl and they mate. We did, but the male just died not too long ago. They are a lot like taking care of gold fish, but they live longer.
Post a Comment